Friday, November 09, 2007

If one more Korean compliments me on my chopstick skillz

I'm gonna poke them in the eye with one. I am so sick of hearing that. "Ohhh, you use chopsticks very good!!" Or something like that. What a backhanded compliment that is.

I guess that doesn't sound that bad written down. It's something about their tone, you have to hear it, they make it sound like I've solved a rubiks cube in 30 seconds and yet they still aren't impressed. If you've searched your limited English vocabulary and that's the only idea you could come up with for something to say while eating with me, then, well, don't say anything at all.

Something else: Pepero Day. I know, I can hardly believe it's here, too. Ain't it amazing how the time flies? Anyway, I'm thankful it falls on a Sunday this year, since that means I won't have to rent a truck to cart home all the little boxes of Pepero my students would've given me.

For those in the dark: Pepero is a kind of candy in Korea. Here's the classic flavor:


Anyway, the kids love 'em.

Well once a year Korea celebrates "Pepero Day," on which one is obligated to give and receive boxes of these things to friends, lovers, co-workers, the milkman, etc etc. The entire holiday was, as you might imagine, dreamed up by the Lotte Co. peeps who produce said product. Which in my humble opinion is taking corporate sponsorship a bit too far. Can you imagine if Americans celebrated a "Snickers Day?" Actually it's probably not that far off. As commercialized as American culture is, the Koreans are ahead of the West, I think. Hell, even their baseball teams are named after corporations. They don't have the "Incheon Bears" or the "Seoul Lions" but rather the "Hyundai Tigers" or the "SK Pumas." In American we've only had the cajones to name stadiums after corporations. Fuck, I wrote "we" as if I was somehow included in the naming process...see how insidious it all is?

Anyway, rant over. To borrow from Mr. Orwell: "I loved Pepero Day!"

1 comment:

takeshi007 said...

Chopsticks are a great utensil to use during mealtime and for a variety of creative games and activities. Personalized Chopsticks can help children to work on hand-dominance, pre-handwriting or handwriting skills, and improving their grasp in a fun and exciting manner.