Sunday, September 02, 2007

Slightly Less Than 100 Bullets

My week, in bullet form:

-I visited the 3rd circle of hell, otherwise known as the Bukbu English Festival. "Bukbu" is the dong or gu or snot or flem or whatever the Korean word for district is in which my school is located. We took about a dozen or so of our best and brightest English speakers to compete against the other schools' similarly abled in a series of competitions...debate, essay writing, dancing, etc. It was the typical in its tedium, the worst part was that it took place on a Saturday. I don't like working on those.

-Speaking of tedium, two of our English teachers were leaving last week so we had a going away dinner. Imagine you're a young white devilishly handsome English-speaking male who's attending a 4 hour long dinner surrounded by 8 or so 40 year old Korean ajummas who despite their Korean Education Board-certified English speaking abilities persist in communicating in their native language. Imagine there isn't any alcohol being served. Imagine you have to pay 25 bucks for a dinner whose highlights include slices of tomatoes dipped in blueberry juice, undercooked un-de-headed prawns, and balls of fried squid. That was my Monday.

-I didn't go out this weekend, for the first time since I've been back. I was just too tired from work...I've been drinking too much anyway. I was up late Thursday at the Goose bidding farewell (again) to Sammy.

-I discovered this great performance by the man from the 2002 Grammys. As he said circa 1965, it should be played "fucking loud."

No comments: