Wednesday, May 31, 2006

The Bucheon Comics Museum

I work in Incheon but I live right over the border in Bucheon, a smaller city (we only have 1 million people instead of 2 something) which prides itself on a few esoteric things, the most memorable being (for me anyway) its adoption of the title "Cartoon City." Wow, what an awkward sentence, but it was borne from the moment and I'm going to let it endure into posterity. Anyway, on Tuesday the SLP morning crew took a field trip to the Comics Museum in the city.

I know what you're thinking. A Comic Book museum: score! Well...not so much. There was some cool stuff...we watched a 3D animated movie that was really good I thought even if it was a little intense for kids (it was about apocalypse and dead robots and whatnot), there were some kickazz old Korean cartoons filled with all sorts of narrative non-sequiturs, and I think I caught a glimpse of Amazing Fantasy #15 (the first appearance of Spiderman - yes, I'm a dork) behind some thick glass but I was moving by too fast to really get a good look at it.

And yet, this may come as a surprise to you, but most of it was about...Korean comics, which are, how can I put this delicately? Not at all interesting to me. And not really all that interesting to the kids, either.

I did get to fill up on a lot of my kids' snacks, though, so that was good. You see whenever we go on a field trip the kids bring along stuff from home and then they love to give one piece of candy or one potato chip or one squid candy thing to me, and after the first one offers up something all the others have to imitate so I wind up with a shitload of shit I shouldn't be eating. And I didn't have to teach, so that was good too. But otherwise it was just another boring day here in K-Ville East.

No comments: