Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Death of a Blogger

My friend and co-teacher Joanne got some really crummy news today. Her ex-boyfriend and still-friend Shawn, who had written extensively about his time in Korea on his blog, committed suicide a week ago in China, where he was teaching. You can read the details here. I'd never met the guy and never really talked about him with Joanne, but before I set out for Korea his was probably the blog I read most and from it I got a lot of ideas about how life here was going to be. It was a really cool moment for me when I found out that she was the 'Julie' he'd written about during his time in Bucheon...it was kinda like meeting the actor from a TV show, I guess.

Anyway, he had quite a bit to say and it was one helluva blog, and he seemed like he was a really decent person. What a waste. Joanne was devastated, and I can only imagine how his friends and family back home must feel. The whole thing has me really bummed out and feeling bad for those who were directly affected by his death...

1 comment:

Jeff D said...

Very sad.

I was just talking with a friend last night who is going through a rough divorce. We touched on suicide and both of us agreed that life probably could not get bad enough for us to consider it. It certainly sounds like there was some manic-depressive stuff going on there.

Such a shame.