Saturday, June 24, 2006

Hurricane Onion

I was as happy as the next bandwagoning (ex-)Raleigher to follow the Hurricanes Stanley Cup run, but I think this Onion article is pretty spot on. Kudos to them for researching a few local Raleigh restaurants, though...loved the shout out to Snoopy's and Brother's, but the Waffle House? WTF? Anyway, I really liked this part:

"We couldn't believe what was happening," said Sam Weber, owner of Playmakers, a Raleigh sports bar. "I still don't understand it. We had a decent crowd here to watch the 1982 North Carolina vs. Georgetown NCAA Championship game on ESPN Classic when out of nowhere a lamppost comes crashing through the front window. Then these huge pasty white guys, all wearing, like, matching sweaters, run in screaming like madmen and holding this giant planter over their heads, which they demanded I fill with beer. They invited all my customers to join them, but we were too shocked, terrified and disoriented to even move, so the gang got angry and stole four of my big-screen televisions."

The Onion sports articles have been really hi-lar-i-ous of late...the "dying boy brought in to cheer up Kansas City Royals" article is pretty good, too.

No comments: