Sunday, June 25, 2006

A New Toy, Picasso, and a Correction

I realized that I'd forgotten to include the answers to the pop quiz that ended an earlier post in the latest one like I'd promised. Here you go: Yoo Jin and Myung Bin are girls, Sung Pil is a boy.

Went up to Yongsan today and bought a digital camera. Everytime I head up there I have these delusions of intense bargaining, of all sorts of weighty consideration of the best deal, of playing the merchants off of one another yadda yadda, then I just wind up settling for the first reasonable deal that comes along. So it was again today. I got a decent enough camera for (what I think was) a fair price so I'm happy.

I probably shouldn't write this, because I know it'll distract you, reader, from my protracted prose, but I included a few shots I took on the way home at the end of this post. Go ahead, look, I know my words can't compete with the colorful pictures. They're nothing too fancy. After I bought the thing and got it working I thought I'd cruise around Seoul and take a few shots of interesting stuff, but as soon as I started doing that I realized I didn't feel like hiking all over the city today. When I came back home to Bucheon I thought I'd at least spend an hour or two taking shots around here, but again, I was feeling lazy. I did muster up the strength to press the buttons a few times as I was walking from where the taxi dropped me off, so that's what you'll see below.

I guess it was another normal weekend. I tried to stay up for the Korea World Cup match Friday night, but Sophia had a party at her (new) place to celebrate the fact that she'd bought an apartment and I got drunk too fast. I was sleepy by 3 and once the game began at 4 I was dozing pretty heavily...and it's not like watching a soccer game is all that invigorating. I left at halftime. Oh, btw, Korea lost 2-0. Oh well.

On Saturday Myra and I went into Seoul to check out this Picasso exhibit the Museum of Art is hosting. It was pretty cool. We had a helluva time finding the museum, but it was worth the struggle because the paintings were generally pretty interesting. My favorite was this pretty big family portrait with a blue background, which seemed normal enough at the first glance but then when you check out the expression on one of the little girls' face you start to realize that something is fucked up with this family...I haven't been able to find an image of it online and this was pre-camera purchase, so, well, you're just going to have to trust me when I say it was cool.

I guess that's it.


The Pics:
I live in the building at the end of the street.


My apartment, which is, you guessed it!: dirty.




Just some apartment buildings near where I live.


The view from my window. You can almost make out the building where I work, which is just to the right of the sign.


Just some commercial buildings near where I live. Imagine these spreading into near-infinity and you'll get a good impression of what Korea looks like.

No comments: