Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Pits


So, I was doing a class the other day, and I asked a general question. Something along the lines of "raise your hand if you know such and such," that's usually how it goes. Naturally, no one raises their hands, so I dumb it down and get a few arms thrust upwards.

I take a glance around the room, and BANG it hits me like a sack of potatoes. That sweet, innocent looking petite brainiac girl with her arm raised has either been hiding a tiny ferret in her armpit or, and let's face it, this is much more likely: she's neglected to shave. For quite some time.

And then I started to notice she ain't the only one. Wrinkly bus-waiting grandmothers, shop clerks with glassy smiles, suspicious eyed passers-by, all women, and all not fully groomed, have recently made my acquaintance, or, at least, been noticed by yours truly.

I spent the better part of a week in Paris with the full expectation that I'd encounter this phenomenon, to no avail, and I come to hairless China to find out a good chunk of the women round here are sporting more turf than they should. Strange world.

No comments: