Friday, December 14, 2007

This Is Not How I Want To Go Out

I don't ride the subway that often, only on my (rarer and rarer) trips into Seoul for shopping / boozing / whatever. But whenever I do there's always that thought in the back of my head, especially when I'm first in line at my entrance, about accidentally slipping onto the tracks or, even more likely, accidentally being pushed onto them by some snub nosed ajjuma in a hurry.

Just the other day there was a massive backup on several of the Seoul lines because someone had been killed by an oncoming train. Now obviously that's a horrible thing to have happen, but it's not altogether unusual (I gather from what I see in the news that this happens once or twice a month in Seoul). What is interesting about this incident is who died, and why. You see it was someone who should've known better, and he died in what could be best described as a compromising position.

You see apparently the other day a subway conductor with diarrhea was working on one of the trains. Apparently his bowels had endured for as long as they could so when his train came to a stop he climbed out of his car, went down onto the tracks, and started to take a dump, when...BLAMMO! another train came along. Like I said, it's not the best way I can imagine to depart from this life.

For credulity's sake I'll link to this article about it. Unfortunately it's all in Korean, so you're gonna have to trust me on it. But here's how babelfish decided to render the first paragraph in translation, if you're interested:

"About it died in the electromotive car which the crew who falls from the subway which runs follows. This crew sees going to stool which is urgent becomes known that multi accident and the service environment improvement which the crew is inferior is coming out urgency is indication."

No comments: