Monday, October 13, 2008

The New South and Obama


This is an interesting article about the Obama campaign in my home state of North Carolina. It focuses on the changes going on in the once reliably Republican state, whose most famous representative in Washington was (and probably still is) Senator No, or Senator Jesse Helms.


Anecdotally speaking I know this to be true, many of my friends and peers back home are much bluer than red, and even my nearly octogenarian grandfather, who no doubt voted for the late Mr. Helms more than a few times, has made it clear to the rest of the family (much to their chagrin, I must unfortunately add) that he's an Obama man. It would be quite an understatement to say this was unexpected.


If Obama can carry North Carolina, and it looks just like he might, then this will be a very big year for the Democrats. Here's hopin'.

No comments: