Monday, February 02, 2009

Super Bowl Imnida

I woke up bright and early this morning at 10 AM to catch the second half of the big game, and I'm glad I did. I was pulling for the Cardinals to get the upset but the Steelers deserved the win just as much as they did, and it was a great finish.

I was watching the Korean language broadcast and enjoyed both the overenthusiasm of the play by play man (every time there was a catch, even for 2 or 3 yards, he'd scream "DROP PASS") and the announcers' obsession with Heinz Ward, who's half Korean. Ever since he won the Super Bowl MVP in 05, he's become a Korean hero, even tho before this happened my guess is that nary a Korean national had ever heard of him.

What was funny is that he didn't really do anything important in the game, and yet they'd mention his name over and over again. My Korean skilz are still definitely lacking, but this is how I imagine it went:

Dude 1: Rothelsburge (sp) back for the pass.

Dude 2: Oh, Smith is open! He throws....

Dude 1: SHORT PASS!

Dude 2: 1st down!

Dude 1: That was a great play. And they couldn't have done it without Heinz Ward blocking on the other side of the field.

Dude 2: Definitely. Heinz Ward was instrumental in that play.

Dude 1: Yes, yes Heinz Ward was. Heinz Ward was important in that play. Heinz Ward.

....

No comments: