Thursday, March 30, 2006

The Way to Heaven

Scene: A blustery Incheon sidewalk. Empty coffee cups and discarded flyers dance across the stage. A car honks its horn in the distance. Two Korean men in medical pajamas, one of them also wearing a back brace, smoke cigarettes in the alley between two buildings.

Enter Stage Left: our hero, Wayne. A youngish, curly haired, pensive, and rotund lad from America. He is lost in thought far away, as if he'd just returned home on his break to find out that the electricity in his apartment was still off and now he has to confront his boss about why the fuck he hasn't paid the bill yet and taken care of this. He is walking quickly.


Enter Stage Right: An elderly Korean couple, probably in their 60s or 70s. The man is smiling perversely and carrying a leather bound Korean bible. The woman walks a little bit behind him and nods at whatever he says.

The three meet.

Korean Man: Hello? Hello? Anesayo?

Wayne: Yes? Yes, hello.

KM: Excuse me...are you...Christian?

Wayne: Yes, yes, I am a Christian, yes...I am Christian.

<KM extends his hand, and the two shake hands conventionally, but at the last second when the embrace would normally end the Korean man grabs hold of Wayne's thumb for a few seconds too long>

Wayne: <twisting away from the man> I'm sorry, but I-

KM: Do you know the way to heaven?

Wayne: I'm sorry, but I have to get to work...

KM: Do you know the way to heaven?

Wayne: Yes...I am Christian...but I have to go to work...

>Exit Stage Right

No comments: